Saturday, August 15, 2009

New Year's Resolution

School is starting soon. As a teacher, a new school year is like a New Year. How will things be different? What new and exciting changes are in store? I don't like to make resolutions. You feel like crap when you can't keep them. But the beginning of the year is definitely a time for reflection. So reflect I shall. Random memories. In no particular order.
-$1 well drinks, disco music, fabulous friends and dancing until 4am.
-House of Pies cottage fries. So nice it has to rhyme.
-Buying tampons with beer when I was 20 because I was certain no one would card a woman on her period.
-New Year's Eve. Birraporreti's. Pink Champagne. Conga line around an old, gold end table. Nuff said.
-Feeling CERTAIN that every boy, without exception, was the best thing ever.
-Writing every single paper, without exception, the night before it was due. Five pages. Ten pages. Twelve. Whatever.
-Writing papers for friends because I wanted them to go out with me.
-Having a different bar to go to for every night of the week, depending on the specials.
-Learning for the first time that the ducks don't care.
-Seeing movies at the River Oaks and the Bellaire and the Greenway that literally changed my life.
-Waking up throughout the night to feed my children when they were babies.
-Drinking beer, always on a coaster, at the Aquarium.
-Stupid, horrible apartments that were really unsuitable for tenants, being my home.
-Loving to grocery shop because I got to pick exactly what I wanted to eat.
-Buying milk, cereal, and beer only when I went grocery shopping.
-Running the breaks out on all my cars. Again and again.
-Indigo Girls concerts that made me cry.
-My heart being so broken that I couldn't sleep without the phone next to my ear.
-Discovering Bob Dylan.
-Being brave enough to let people know I'm not an idiot.
-Laughing when all I wanted was to cry.
-Walking around the musuem. Writing really horrible poetry inspired by art.
-Reading under the trees, near the fountain, with a flashlight under the covers, everywhere.
-Three pitcher nights.
-Stupid decisions. Worse consequences.
-Only having to do laundry one night a week.
-Falling in love with the wrong person. Over and over and over again.
-Letting go of something important in order to hang on to something more precious.
-$5 lunch specials
-REALLY cheap Taco Bell.
-REALLY good Dr. Pepper at the Taco Bell.
-Having to use public restrooms exclusively because my toilet was broken and the landlord wouldn't fix it.
-One first kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment