Sunday, August 2, 2009

MORE to (not) Love

When I first heard of the show “More to Love” (think the bachelor with fat people) I was very skeptical. Parade the fat girls around to make fun of them. Sure the skinny girls have their bachelor, so give the fat girls a bachelor too. The good news: fat girls are meaner than skinny girls. They have more to fight for, more to fight about. This makes for good reality tv. Fat girls cry a lot. Too much. This also makes for good reality TV. The bad news: fat girls are just as desperate, in fact more desperate, than skinny girls to achieve the so-called fairy tale romance. First problem with the show is along with the usual stats (name, hometown, job) a weight is also listed next to each contestant and the bachelor. Really? Seriously? Why do I need to know EXACTLY how much these people weigh? Frankly, I don’t use scales. Several reasons. I know full well when I gain weight. And if you don’t, you are lying to yourself. I don’t need a scale to tell me I’ve eaten too many honey buns or twinkies in the last month. The bachelor on More to Love is a total cheese ball. He reminds me of this guy I went out with once who had inappropriate comments for everything I said. Example – Joy: “I love going to the movies alone.” Cheese Dude: “You just haven’t met the right guy yet. Or, maybe he’s right in front of you.” And the cynical side of me wonders: wouldn’t he do just fine on a “regular” bachelor show? There’s something about TV cameras that turns women into rabid hounds. You could put this guy on the bachelor, surround him by a bunch of 100 pound twigs, and they’d be selling their grammy upriver to get him to choose her. So here are some basic problems with the show…and I’m not even going to get into the problems I see with these kinds of shows in general. Problem #1 – why does the dude have to be “hefty”? Wanna show something really cool? Have an average size man choosing love from a group of plus size women. Did you think of that? I mean, basically, what you’re selling us is “fat people need love…from other fat people.” Problem #2 – fat women are cranky, unhappy, pathetic, and not much fun to watch. Not that skinny women are much better. But if I heard one more time, “This is my last chance!” I was gonna throw my Little Debbie cake at the TV. Seriously? THIS is your last chance? Honey, call me. We need to talk. At what point did you realize, or decide, a reality TV show bachelor was your last chance at love? Problem #3 – it’s just tacky. It’s tacky to put people’s weight up on a show that isn’t concerned about weight loss. It’s tacky to parade all these overweight people around like they are circus freaks. Here’s the good news: after watching one episode, I am convinced that I am better off than any of these ladies. I don’t go on a reality TV show as my “last chance”. I don’t allow myself to be humiliated by proving my desperation to the world in an attempt to capture one fool. Bottom line: according to this show, fat girls are mean and cry a lot. Fat guys are schmarmy. If you have to say “I’m ok!” to testify you’re not drunk, you’re drunk. I hate to say it, but I may watch this train wreck. Because it reminds me of how well I’m doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment