Sunday, August 9, 2009

Social networking sites - A new way to spread misery

You know the cliche. "Misery loves company." Well, misery has found an endless sort of company in social networking web sites. Where better to spread your Debbie Downer crap than Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter? You have a captive audience who feels obligated to read your spew because they are your "friend" or "following" you. I've been actively involved in Facebook for a while now, and honestly, it's been great. I have reconnected with some awesome friends and really enjoy the interactive aspects of the site. But guess what? I got tired of hearing pointless ramblings, pity parties, and other down-trodden crap. So, in a bold move, I unfriended and blocked people who gave me a headache or otherwise made me miserable. Simple really. I went through the list and said, "who has pissed me off or made me feel miserable with their FB crap?" Surprisingly, there were only two. This shows you just how miserable one or two losers can make you. But I thought of it this way: I wouldn't sit at lunch with someone every day who made me miserable. I wouldn't hang out with someone who pissed me off. Why expose myself to that on FB? And I didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. FB has been good to me. So for about a week I've been without the two losers and, not surprisingly, FB has become a much more enjoyable place. Go figure. Do some housecleaning. Get rid of the downers. Life's too short and you're better than that. And don't be a downer. That's just janky.

No comments:

Post a Comment